Lingayen is dubbed “the heart, the soul, and the face” of the Province of Pangasinan.
The municipality got its name from a certain corpulent tamarind tree that grew at the present town plaza. The tree was exceptionally big, tall and spreading that the surrounding trees were just dwarfs in comparison. Passersby developed the habit of looking back and back again at this corpulent tree until it would vanish from their view. When they arrived home and were asked what way they took in return, they would simply say through Lingayen meaning “looking back”. Since then up to the present time, the town bears its name as “LINGAYEN.”
Lingayen is the home of the most delectable bagoong. The theory of some makers is that the salinity of the air is a factor why fish fermenting is very ideal in Lingayen.
Today, Lingayen is considered one of the most beautiful place and most peaceful municipality of Pangasinan that made it worthy to be loved, looked back, patronized, visited and revisited.
LAND AREA : 6,613 hectares
POPULATION : 95,773
NO. OF BARANGAYS : 32
CLASSIFICATION : 1st class
TOWN FIESTA : 1st Saturday and Sunday of January
PISTA’Y DAYAT : Last week of April – May 1
INDUSTRIES : bangus and aquaculture, bagoong/patis making,nipa vinegar, nipa roof shingles making,
furniture making, coconut midribs and buri crafts, rice
TOURIST ATTRACTIONS : Lingayen Gulf Beach Club, Limahong Channel, MacArthur Landing Marker, Capitol Building,
Urduja House, Sison Auditorium, Epiphany of Our Lord’s Parish Church,
Ramos Ancestral House/Museum, Lingayen View Park, Veterans Memorial Park,
Narciso Ramos Sports and Civic Center, Plaza de Lingayen, Lingayen Airport,
Epiphany of Our Lord Parish Church (1575)