May 13, 2017, Filed under In Focus

web_drug rehab ctr 2

web_drug rehab ctr

 

web_drug rehab ctr 3

 

LINGAYEN, Pangasinan – The Provincial Drug Rehabilitation Center in Burgos town will start its operations as soon as construction works for the kitchen, mess hall, bath house, concrete pavement and perimeter fence which is worth Php8 million  have been completed.

 

Governor Amado I. Espino, III bared this during his 1st report on the state of the province he delivered on May 11 at the Capitol Plaza, stressing that the drug rehab center, which is being built in a 2-hectare lot donated by the family of late Mayor Demetrio Cabiles, is designed to accommodate ‘moderately-affected drug personalities.’

 

In a separate interview, Governor Espino said the drug rehab center could start its operations by July this year, if construction works will not be interrupted by bad weather.

 

The drug rehab center to be managed by the provincial government shall require enrollees to stay at the facility and attend daily lectures, discussions and counseling by doctors and accredited trainers.

 

The first batch of enrollees will be selected from the more than 19,000 self-confessed drug users in Pangasinan which will be based on assessments on the degree of their drug affectation to be administered by the Department of Health (DOH).

 

Meanwhile, Governor Espino also emphasized in his state of the province address that his administration has taken significant steps to keep peace and order situation in Pangasinan in proper pace, and to support the anti-illegal drugs campaign by President Rodrigo Duterte.

 

In August 2016, the provincial chief executive led provincial officials, department heads and employees in taking the mandatory random illegal substance abuse assessment, the first provincial government in the country to have done so during that time. Said move was endorsed by the Sangguniang Panlalawigan through Provincial Ordinance No. 200 s.2016.

 

In partnership with the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency, Philippine National Police and Department of the Interior and Local Government, the provincial government mounted the Region 1 Anti-Illegal Drus Summit also in August last year.

 

A month after he was installed as provincial chief executive via the Inaugurals and Oath-taking held on June 30, last year, Governor Espino on July 28 convened for the first time under his watch the Provincial Anti-Drug Abuse Council (PADAC) where he expressed deep concern over the influx of self-confessed drug users who voluntarily surrendered to police authorities.

 

Keen on addressing the illegal drugs menace in the province, right then he gave marching orders for attached agencies and his cohorts in the provincial government to work in unison to fast-track rehab efforts to save thousands of drug users from further infestation caused by illegal drugs use.

 

In March 13 this year, the provincial chief executive led the joint Peace and Order Council and PADAC meeting where he directed various committees to come up with detailed plans to address major peace and order problems which include illegal drugs, high incidence of vehicular incidents, traffic woes, cyber crimes, among others.

 

Owing to the efforts of the provincial administration on anti-illegal drugs drive, the Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief Ronald Dela Rosa conferred a certificate of appreciation to Gov. Espino during the PNP’S 115th Police Service Anniversary celebration held at Camp Florendo in La Union in September last year to recognize his invaluable support to PNP’s anti-illegal drugs campaign ‘Project Double Barrel’.

 

/Mark Gerry Naval Oblanca

 

 

 

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

 

 

Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Monthly Archives